11/12/2010

Movie Review: 2010, Eat Pray Love


Eat Pray Love


I spend a lot of time thinking just how to start this review and came with the same old phrases, but the truth is that this is a good-movie-that-left-you-thinking-about-life kind of movie, which is always good, right?

I know this was a book about self discovering, that was made into what we can call a chick flick, but this is a chick flick for everybody (a very unusual thing) I'm going to explain what this movie did to me because I'm sure that the experience of watching this movie will be different for everyone.

Be aware that I only watched the movie though, I have like 0 patience for nonfiction books, I must have read 3 of them in my whole life and I finished just1 (not gonna tell which one). So the movie as you can imagine divides between the discovery of enjoy eating, praying and finally enjoy love, it's starts with this woman, Liz who finds herself in a situation that a lot of people can relate to, she has a life that doesn't excite her it doesn't make her feel good and happy, so she decides to take a trip to remember what is good in life and to be honest, I absolutely think that if I had the money to do it Rome India and Bali would be marked in my calendar, like tomorrow.

Eat, Liz starts the journey by trying to remember the times when you ate something and be amazed by it, not doing the typical fast lunch, microwave dinner that ends up tasting like nothing, so she goes to Italy, the feeling I got while watching this part was that people sometimes forget how to enjoy the simplest things about food, I must say that I enjoy cooking and baking and it reminds me of how the ingredients must be felt and selected to make something new, I have never gone on a diet in my life and I find that eating is what you need to do to live, not live for eating maybe that's the problem, if you eat just to stuff your mouth with something your not eating you are just surviving and therefor not living really, so next time you eat a snack ask yourself do you really need it? and most important will you really take your time to enjoy it?.

Pray, this part I can't say I relate to, I have never properly prayed, like Liz in the beginning of the movie, but I know the good effects of meditation, I didn't get the whole guru thing but I don't think that was important, what I like about this part is that it reminds you to feel good about yourself, about who you are and if your not do something about it, have balance.

Love, so after the meditation trip to India, Liz ends up in Bali, Indonesia we all know this part really, every chick flick has the falling in love part, but the difference I think is that because of the distribution of the movie, it becomes more enjoyable to watch, by the time she meets her love we are all kind of friends with Liz so I kind of wanted a good ending for her, which obviously she had (it would have been a very anti-climatic movie if it didn't, right?).

So my finals thoughts are that this is a great movie to watch probably alone, because as I said earlier this movie is different for anyone who watches it and you don't really need another person's POV, also I liked the casting a lot, Julia Roberts as the leading role of Liz was probably the most perfect choice, she's very relatable which for this kind of movie was very important the other roles too, very believable of the casting choices, well almost all, the girl in India I didn't like her too much for some unknown reason (and I must say I have a weak spot for James Franco so he's always good) Javier Bardem as a Brazilian was a very good casting call too, as was the soundtrack, I don't know much about bossa nova, but I know that is can be damn seductive.

I just hope you watch this movie, and share your thoughts about it with someone, it should be interesting to know what other people felt and thought about it.

PS: and if you think this movie was too corny for you, maybe you should read Drink, Play, F@#k by Andrew Gottlieb.

No comments:

Post a Comment